Health Purchasing Victoria is a state-wide health organisation that partners with Victoria’s public health services to procure best-value goods and services.
We do this by negotiating and managing common-use contracts on behalf of Victoria’s public health services, leveraging hospitals’ collective buying power to deliver better value across the sector.
Health services purchase the goods and services they need from the suppliers that are party to HPV contracts.
We also work with health services to increase the efficiency of the health supply chain, enabling them to direct more of their resources to patient care.
As an independent public entity, we establish policies to guide and foster fair and ethical procurement practices and financial accountability, and we help health services to understand and meet these requirements.
HPV’s vision is to advance safe, affordable and sustainable healthcare.
HPV is an independent statutory authority responsible to the Minister of Health.
Our team works closely with the Department of Health and Human Services to support the growth and success of the Victorian health system.
HPV is charged with a number of legislative functions under the Health Services Act 1998 (Vic). HPV has powers to fulfil the following functions:
- To supply or facilitate supply of goods and services
- To provide advice and training
- To develop policies and practices to promote best value and probity
- To monitor compliance by public hospitals and health services with HPV directions and purchasing policies and to report irregularities to the Minister
- To foster improvements in use of systems and e-commerce
- To maintain useful data and share that with health services
- To ensure probity is maintained in the purchasing, tendering and contracting of public hospitals
Our people, our work and our growth is guided by our organisational values.
- We are customer-focused
- We keep it simple
- We are collaborative
- We take responsibility
- We inspire confidence
HPV’s 2018-2022 Strategy and annual Statement of Priorities documents set out HPV’s key objectives to advance safe, affordable and sustainable healthcare for all Victorians.
Download the HPV Strategy 2018-2022
Download the HPV Statement of Priorities 2019-20
HPV's Accessibility Action Plan outlines our organisational commitment to reducing barriers experienced by people with a disability.
Download the HPV Accessibility Action Plan