HPV's Legislative Functions
HPV is an independent statutory authority under Section 129 of the Health Services Act 1988 (Vic). HPV is responsible to the Minister for Health and works closely with the Department of Health and Human Services.
HPV is charged with a number of legislative functions under section 132 the Act that include:
- to supply or facilitate supply of goods and services
- to provide advice and training
- to develop policies and practices to promote best value and probity
- to monitor compliance by public hospitals and health services with HPV directions and purchasing policies and to report irregularities to the Minister for Health
- to foster improvements in use of systems and e-commerce
- to maintain useful data and share that with health services
- to ensure probity is maintained in the purchasing, tendering and contracting of public hospitals
HPV is given all the powers necessary to fulfil its functions.